Thursday, June 3, 2010

Facebook

I've been on Facebook for over two years now and probably need to join Facebook Anonymous as I'm on every day - chatting, playing games and just keeping in touch. So finding a colleague and sending a friend request was easy as I do it frequently. Visiting the Manukau Libraries website was also straightforward but I couldn't find where to become a fan - so just clicked Like - I wonder if that's what is meant. Obviously it was, as since then I have had lots of posts on my wall from Manukau Libraries. I also posted to the discussions on what I'm reading right now and my favourite book. I've just checked my friends list and Manukau Libraries is listed there - as a local business. I much prefer this way of receiving updates than on Twitter and as Facebook is so popular with all age groups, this seems like a great way to keep in touch with our customers - and staff! My attempts to sign up to another library were difficult - the Auckland City page I found had only five fans and no posts. North Shore city obviously have a busy site, but with limited content available to the public. You have to request to join and be approved before you can see their wall posts. Seems a little odd for a public library. I then succeeded with the British Library - lots of posts and comments. They have posts with links to events, poetry podcasts and interviews on British theatre history. I think Facebook is great and will certainly suggest it to customers as a way to keep up-to-date with our happenings. However, Facebook is primarily about social networking and for people who just want updates Twitter is probably better. I love having the library updates on a site I visit every day. And I've already suggested GoodReads and Shelfari to customers who I thought might be interested.

No comments: