Sunday, August 10, 2008

Technology and Baby Boomers

All technology is fascinating to baby boomers - many of us grew up without even colour television or telephones. So, what do I like best? It's hard to choose. Using Skype to chat to my daughter and grandchildren in Australia is obviously major - especially getting to see the little ones on webcam. It also helps to remind them who we are between visits. Facebook plays a pretty big part in my life too and I love having friends all around the world. My particular favourite is playing games with groups of these friends - my evenings are often taken up with games such as Word Twist, Paradigm and Challenge Sudoku. E-mail is incredible - do children still have to learn how to write letters at school? Keeping in touch with friends from the three other countries we've lived in is so much easier with e-mail. If I still had to write letters, I think we would lose touch with so many of them. Digital cameras speak for themselves - so much easier. But I do still use an old fashioned camera occasionally, much to the confusion of my three-year old granddaughter who can't understand why she can't see the photos immediately! VCRs have never liked me, so the advent of DVD recorders was important to me - now I can confidently record anything I like without mishaps such as chewed tape. There's just so much, but I need to get on Facebook and feed my pet dog, so I'll leave it there.
I went to the blog register to choose someone to comment upon for this section. My first two attempts were unsuccesful as they hadn't written on the topic yet, but I enjoyed having a look at what they had written. Then I found someone who had written about Ipods, clicked on comments, and added my thoughts. The bonus was that another interesting comment had been added. The security prevents mass comments being made by hackers which is good.

1 comment:

Hikurangi said...

Tena koe,
I've just used the 'gadgets' toy, that blog spot have introduced, and now my blog has got a heap of them, I wish my blog was lovely and tidy like your one. I noted in the gadget section that there is a 'news listing.' (If you haven't already yet),you could click on that, then in the top right hand corner, write the name of the country that you love, then you will get the news from there. Just thought you would like to know.
Hikurangi